Friday, November 1, 2013

Things to include in your carry on, in case of an emergency.

Kansai International Airport - Osaka, Japan

It is every traveller's worst nightmare (which isn't safety related) to arrive at your destination and have your luggage left behind at another airport in another country. It could happen to ANYONE.. people travelling for play, people on business trips and even air crew doesn't get insured from being super unlucky. The feeling of waiting at the conveyer belt for your luggage - that doesn't seem to appear - after a long flight, isn't the most pleasant feeling.. ever.

I always have a getaway stash whenever I travel. A pouch containing the essentials: passport, money and an extra lock, just in case I have to get out of a country. But after last week's fiasco where my luggage got taken off the aircraft in Melbourne when I was bound for Sydney, I learnt that having my passport, money and lock on me isn't good enough.

So here's what I take with me every time I travel... just in case.

1. Makeup pouch
Travel makeup pouch.. and all its goodies inside.

Makeup is essential in my line of work. I keep the essentials like face powder, eyeliner, blusher and lipstick in my pouch for the periodical freshen up.. and look alive and pretty even after a long and difficult flight. No one keeps their essential makeup pouch in their luggage. What if you need to head off for a meeting right after the flight and your luggage is lost? If you want to look the top of your game, and save yourself from buying duty free makeup at the airport shops, just bring a small pouch to be safe.

2. Toiletries and medication you can't live without

My mistake was not including this stash in my carry on bag. Hence, when I got to my hotel room sans my luggage, I was at a loss. I couldn't get rid of the makeup that was melting off my face, I wasn't comfortable because I didn't have my deodorant and I had to live with my dry, peeling skin because my moisturiser was in the luggage. I could make do with whatever the hotel provided for a teeny while, but it really sucks not being able to remove your makeup. Wipes aren't usually effective in removing makeup, but it's better than nothing.

Remember, liquids in your carry on MUST be in quantities of 100 ml or less. Bring any more, and the airport staff would throw it away. It's also best to keep your liquids in one place and sealed in a ziploc bag, to prevent a bag-wide spillage... and to make your life a little easier when they ask to take out your liquids bag for inspection.

And if you have an inhaler for your asthma, PUT IT IN YOUR CARRY ON. 


3. Travel adapters

In this digital age where the lifespan of your smartphone batteries are shorter than my attention span, charging units are important. Without my phone, life would be as good as null. Stash at least your phone charger AND a travel adapter in your bag. Preferably a universal travel adapter so that you don't have to carry so many plugs and have them not fit.

Last, but not the least... spare clothes. Or a hoodie. You never know how cold a place could be outside the airport terminal. If it's a tropical country like Singapore, a spare t-shirt and shorts would be awesome. For people travelling for work, keeping a pair of slippers might do you good too.

My luggage eventually arrived in Sydney, six hours after I did. It was a torturous wait, being stuck in my work clothes with makeup slowly oxidising off my face... I even took a nap with my makeup on. We weren't sure when the bags were going to arrive, or if they were ever going to come.. and we were flying off to another country first thing in the morning the next day. Not the best first experience of the beautiful city of Sydney, but I hope this mishap doesn't happen again.

1 comment:

  1. I usually do this every time i check in my luggage - i have quite little faith on airline baggage system. I usually bring whatever i can to survive one day without my luggage, resulting bulky hand carry (cause i don't normally bring two suitcases for short term trip) but hey, better safe than sorry :D

    ReplyDelete