Sunday, October 20, 2013

Impromptu trip to Grandma's

It all started when I was sitting at the kitchen table having a chat with mum, just an hour after I got home from my 10-day Perth trip. I asked what she did during the week while I was gone, asked about other routine stuff... finally asked where was grandma at. I haven't seen her in the longest time and didn't get to spend BOTH Hari Raya festivals properly with my family.. hence I asked.

Then, it was decided. We were going to pack ourselves up and head off to Batam... barely 24 hours since I came back home. #YouOnlyLiveOnce

Going to Batam meant cheap food, cheap massages, cheap.. everything. It's the most popular place for Singaporeans to head to for a day trip. Maybe not so much for shopping, but the food is awesome and real cheap. I love going there to pamper myself from time to time.

Mum booked a room at I Hotel, adjacent to Nagoya Hill, one of the most popular shopping malls there. That area is our favourite place to stay because it's so convenient. Everything you need for a good stay in Batam is at Nagoya Hill. I've been wanting to stay there since forever, but it's always fully booked. I could see why. The hotel and the shopping mall is separated by a lit walkway, three flights of stairs and a small road. Best location ever.

It had one of the BEST breakfast buffets I've ever been to! I am the lazy kind, definitely not a morning person. People would have to literally DRAG me out of bed to wake me up early in the morning. So it's a rare thing when I decided I wanted to go for the buffet.. much to my parents' surprise.

No regrets.

There was a huge spread of food, from continental to oriental. Personally LOVED the Japanese section where they served traditional Japanese gohan. Yes, and I mean TRADITIONAL. I almost freaked out of my pants when I saw a familiar white box containing natto. I've never seen natto being served in a non-Japanese hotel buffet breakfast before. Not even in the best breakfast buffet I've had at Le Meridien, Kota Kinabalu, Sabah.



Ate a little too much to make up for all the cold, refrigerated food I've been surviving on the past 10 days. Now time to work it all off!

xx

1 comment: