Monday, October 7, 2013

Destination: Shibuya


On October 1st 2013, my lifelong dream of setting foot into Tokyo came true. Nothing could describe the excitement I felt the moment the plane landed on Japanese soil. I WAS FINALLY IN JAPAN!

The whole experience being there, albeit short, was like no other. We had fun trying to navigate our way from our hotel in Narita to Tokyo city itself. There were so many trains, I can't even begin to decipher which one goes where. The food was marvellous, I had a great time ordering food from a vending machine before even stepping into the restaurant. Oh yes, there were vending machines EVERYWHERE selling all kinds of things from cigarettes to hot drinks to onigiris (rice balls). 

Tokyo city was bright, colourful, loud and beautiful. There were people everywhere you turned, and they are generally nice and always happy to help with directions even when they couldn't speak English very well.

I spent hours in Tokyu Hands, a seven-levelled building selling craft stuff, homewares and other awesome stuff. They had a wideeee collection of washi tapes that I loved, so it took everything for me to keep myself from buying them all. There was the popular 100-yen store, Daiso which had a wide array of things we don't actually need and is cheaper than Singapore's.... Oh, it was a shopping haven.

Though we only managed to barely cover Shinjuku and Shibuya this time, I hope that my next trip would involve heading to a shrine or the museums, especially the Studio Ghibli museum I'm DYING to see. 

What is a trip without any unanticipated adventures? It involved us missing the last train back to Narita, forcing us to stay out all night because the taxi back would cost us an arm and a leg. But that's a story for another day, I promise.


No comments:

Post a Comment