Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Lan Kwai Fong : Hipster Hangout by day, Party Central by night.


I've heard from my friends many times to check out Lan Kwai Fong if I were to head to Hong Kong. It is supposedly THE place to go to party in Hong Kong city. The first time I went was in 2010, and we spent most of our time in Mongkok, shopping.. Didn't manage to pay a visit. Plus, I wasn't much of a party animal then. This time, when Amanda and I went in April, we went to see what the fuss was all about. 

In the day the area was bustling with hipsters, tourists and occasional men and women in business attire (with the Central Business District a stone throw away) doing their shopping in cute, independent stores or having a meal in one of the cosy restaurants or getting some coffee to escape the dreary, rainy Hong Kong weather. I particularly enjoyed the architecture; it was a unique blend of colonial structures and a splash of modernity. The streets were clean and well-maintained. Lan Kwai Fong Road itself had a large space dedicated to artsy murals. 

By night, it transformed into something else altogether. Some of the roads are blocked to traffic, expanding places people could walk up and down the road freely without getting run over... There was a huge variety of music blasting from the speakers, stores selling cheap beers by bottles placed in a large cooler and happy hour all night long. The atmosphere was pretty awesome. There were so many different characters to watch, so many nationalities in one place and so many beautiful people.

I thought that the party scene was almost comparable to Koh Samui's, minus the offerings of laughing gas for 100 baht. While vibrant from the hours of 2300 - 0330 hours, once the clock struck 4, you see the usual sights of people lying around, drunk, puking and doing stupid things. At 0700 hours, it was bright out, and the streets were almost empty, but littered with empty beer cans and bottles, broken shards of glass and other miscellaneous rubbish strewn across the floor.

Come back a few hours later, the streets are clean again. It was like the party last night never happened.
Unfortunately, I didn't bring my camera along with me when we went to party at night... I travelled light, and my phone sucked. So, all I had were the mental pictures I took. 

I was lucky to have Amanda as my travel-mate. She's so cool and game to do EVERYTHING I wanted. I know she had tons of fun (hahahahaha) and so did I. 

Whatever happened in Lan Kwai Fong stays in Lan Kwai Fong. 

No comments:

Post a Comment