Monday, June 17, 2013

Penny University : A gem in the east

I love hanging out at cafes. Not just Starbucks or Coffee Bean, more of the independently owned 'hidden' cafes that were more centrally located at Tiong Bahru - Tanjong Pagar- Outram Park areas, now spreading to residential areas in other parts of Singapore. I wished they were more common a few years back while I was still in school and desperately seeking a place to study... and yummy coffee.

I read about Penny University on blogs, and my Facebook newsfeed. I only found out that it's a Muslim-owned cafe through my family while my aunts were discussing about cupcakes. 'twas an interesting conversation. Honestly, even though there are a bunch of excellent cafes, like Group Therapy, 40 Hands, Wimbly Lu, Riders' Cafe... just to name a few, none of these are halal-certified. Which kinda sucks because, we'd love some eggs benedict and (turkey or chicken) bacon sammich too y'know.

It's located along East Coast Road, a stone throw away from Siglap (the classy area in the East) and quite accessible if you know which buses to take. For more information on how to get there..... continue reading.


The cafe serves your good ol' espressos and I have yet to try the pies, cakes and cupcakes.... But I definitely LOVE the muddy espresso. It's smooth, yummy and refreshing. Some people put sugar in their coffee, but I'd rather have it as it is. Plus, it's served in a jar. You have to try it.

I love that it's so close to home, hence I'll be heading there every chance I get. Great coffee, awesome music and friendly staff, Penny University is now my new favourite place.

Look! It's so close to my Primary school.

Penny University
402 East Coast Road, Singapore 428997
Tue - Thu0830 - 1800Fri0830 - 2130Sat - Sun0830 - 2230

How to get there:

From Eunos MRT (Sims Avenue bus stop) - Take 155 and get off at Ocean Apartments, six stops later.  Facing the road, turn right and walk down till you see a cross junction. Pretty straight forward.
From Eunos MRT (Jalan Eunos bus stop) - Cross over, and take 15. Get off at East Coast Apartments, six stops later. Cross the road at the traffic light, and you're there.

Parking's gonna be quite a bitch, but there's a tiny space right next to the cafe.

No comments:

Post a Comment