Wednesday, June 12, 2013

What I Ate Wednesday: Ochazuke



Ochazuke is of Japanese origin, which is a simple dish made by pouring green tea, dashi (bonito stock) or genmaicha (roasted brown rice tea) over cooked rice and usually accompanied with savoury toppings. 

My first encounter with ochazuke was at San Sui Sumiyaki & Bar at One Fullerton. Though the Ebi Roe ochazuke I had was nothing to write back home about, I began researching on how to make it myself. It turned out to be incredibly simple!

Ingredients:
  • Two packs of tea, I used the Genmaicha tea from Sakae. Really yummy.
  • 5 button mushrooms, sliced
  • A handful of shrimps
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • 3 slices of salted Salmon belly (or normal salmon)
  • A bowl of cooked rice
  • A dash of light soy sauce
  • A dash of cooking oil
  • Salt and pepper to taste








The Japanese usually have this for breakfast, but it works if you're feeling peckish in the middle of the night too. So simple to make and YUMMY.

1 comment: