Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Up and about Auckland city



Of the three friends I have staying in New Zealand right now, one was still living in Auckland city. The other two boys are living their lives buried knee-deep in farms or taking trips along the scenic route of Kiwiland. Nikki and Nicholas left Singapore for NZ at least a month and a half ago and I hadn't been able to make it for their farewell, so it was a perfect time to catch up!


We hopped on a train to a factory outlet store called Dress Smart in Onehunga for a little looksee. It had brands like Cotton On, Adidas and Timberland so one could keep themselves occupied for a few hours. Didn't buy anything but a new watch, as most of the clothing items were in large sizes. FINALLY got myself a new watch. My old one looks like it had been chewed on and ran over by a truck, twice. We caught up, exchanged stories and gossips, laughs... it was so good to be seeing a familiar face in a foreign land. 


Went back to Auckland City and decided to do something touristy since it was my first time there. Instead of trekking up Mount Eden, the highest natural peak for an epic view of the city, we went up the Auckland Sky Tower. Very, very touristy... but hey. It was worth it. From its peak at 60 storeys high, we could see the entire city, One Tree Hill and the neighbouring islands. When it's warmer, I'll definitely want to head out to the beaches.


Had $10 steak for dinner at Jax Munster Inn. It was HUGE and super delicious. Didn't take any decent photos of it because I was so hungry, but all in good time. The steak came with homemade mashed potatoes, and boy, the portion was so huge we had a hard time trying to finish our meal.

Thanks for bringing me around, Nikki! Had a wonderful time exploring the city, and meeting new people along the way. Will see you again the next time I swing by Auckland!


The next (and final) evening after work, a few of us headed down to Commerce Street for Auckland's famous White Lady! It's a long, white bus parked at a corner and sold burgers and fries. It is a must eat for anyone who's in Auckland. I am not usually a fan of burgers, but this was undeniably the best burger I've ever tasted. I ordered the recommended Steak Burger and it came HUGE. So, so good. It was the first burger I finished without having to force myself too! And that's a feat!


The perfect Auckland meetup would be when the three musketeers (Nicholas, Nikki and Ummar) are in the city, and Melvin and I get scheduled flights to Auckland at the same time. Highly improbable, bordering on impossible... but never say never. When that day comes, I'll be sure to document it.

No comments:

Post a Comment