Wednesday, November 20, 2013

#badluckmazlan

Ten days without a post, yikes. I really need to do something about this long period of absence from blogosphere. It's not about dry spells or zero ideas for a post. I have tons of things to share, just have no time to do it. Things aren't going to be better in the coming month, but I'll try harder to post regularly.

In the meantime... here's a story about my dear friend Mazlan. The past seven days with him around had been a total blessing. So I thought we might entertain you with the silly happenings of the past week. I've broken our week up into two parts (in hashtags that were very much used during our trip), to keep you from falling asleep. :P

Monday, 11 November 2013

It all started with me finding something of his while packing up for work. When I told him I'd put it in his folder in the office because it's almost impossible to see each other because of our schedules, that was when he said, "I'm flying with you tonight."

And I went, "Eh?"

I was prepared for an uneventful trip. I packed my Macbook, movies and a few books to keep me entertained during the nights (or mornings, depends on what time we get in) but with him there, I know we're going to have some fun and mischief up our sleeves.

Tuesday, 12 November 2013

Unfortunately, upon our arrival in Melbourne the next morning, we found that Mazlan didn't have a connecting flight with the rest of us to Sydney. He was to fly to Gold Coast and be on standby out there, on his own. Well, so much for having a batch mate on your trip. So with a lot of teasing and a heavy heart, we said our goodbyes, and while he got on his plane, the rest of us were stuck in the terminal... waiting to board our delayed aircraft.


I woke up from my sleep that evening to find a text from him, saying that he'll see us again tomorrow. Happy that he's gonna be on the team again, and a little disgruntled that he's not going to work on the extra flight, I geared myself up for the very long day ahead.

Wednesday, 13 November 2013

Flew from Sydney to Gold Coast, bumped into Ash and his team who were heading off to Osaka, swapped aircrafts that'll take us to Narita and waited for the two crew members who hadn't arrived. Mazlan came onboard and the whole team went, "WELCOME BACK!"

I still don't understand why people up there didn't just let him stay with us throughout.

Narita was fuh-reee-zing when we arrived. Bundled up in our semi-winter wear and headed out for sushi. The walk was long and the weather was bitter cold but we were kept entertained by ghost stories and other gossips. It was so damn cold, I literally felt my cheeks defrosting when I stepped into the sushi place. I don't know how Mazlan managed to walk in the cold with his toes exposed.

Tried crab brain sushi, much to the rest of my friends' horrors... they came in pairs and they were as revolting as they looked. At least I could say that I've tried!


Thursday, 14 November 2013



Mazlan and I had our own little adventure working around the shuttle bus timings to get to a nearby shopping mall. Narita is seriously inconvenient to get around if you're not street smart. Thankfully, I had an excellent partner in crime.

He grabbed a crepe while I waited around for my ice cream soda. I am not usually a fan of sweet stuff as they drive me crazy, but when I took a bite out of his parfait crepe.. I wanted one of my own. For those who are heading to Narita, the crepes are located on the second floor of Aeon Mall. They were the best things ever.


We headed back pretty early to pack and mentally prepare ourselves for the flight back. The weather was perfect for sleeping, and we were so bummed that we had to work that evening. We were both so sleepy, and I really needed to psych myself for the night that awaited us. Lucky for all of us, the ride was smooth sailing.


Two zombies (among others) flying back to Gold Coast that evening

Why #badluckmazlan

I learnt from him that being on rostered standby sucks. There is no certainty in how many days you work, and who you'd be flying with. They could call you and take you away from the team you've grown comfortable working with and make you go elsewhere. Then there was a mysteriously funny case of him losing ALL his luggage tags. God knows why, but he'd always get his luggage out from the conveyor belt sans tag. He even had to borrow mine when we went separate ways because I was going home and he, to Bangkok.

x

No comments:

Post a Comment